After 5 years of excessively large fires and outdoor storage, my fire pit has officially rusted through. Check out the pictures of how I rebuilt and upgraded it in my shop.
The plate you see at the bottom of the picture is a 10 gauge 1 ft square plate that I added about a year or two ago. Worked fine for a while, but the rest of the structure is no longer capable of supporting it.
To begin with, I had to decide what I wanted to improve with this project. Obviously, I need to repair the rust, but in the end I also want it to be better. So, I went to the whiteboard and wrote down the issues that I wanted to fix:
- Let Water Drain (to prevent future rust)
- More air flow (bigger fire of course….)
- Make ash removal easier
So in addition to drawing some pictures, I also drug a bunch of metal out of my reserves to see what I had to work with. I wanted to do this project with as many scraps and leftovers as possible. Gertrude was helping of course.
Tip: For straighter cuts while using a plasma cutter or torch, clamp a piece of steel next to your cut so you can run the edge of the torch against it while cutting. This will get you a straighter cut which means less grinding to get to your finished piece.
I also cut four pieces of this fence railing metal that I had left over from many other projects. The square holes are from where the 1/2″ x 1/2″ spindles were before I broke it apart.
My sliding ash tray seems to work pretty well so far. The holes in the frame should allow more airflow to the fire and water drainage when the pit is not in use.
Stay tuned for part 2 where we finish up the pit and try it out!