Yes, I realize it is the middle of summer. But if you want to plow this winter, you gotta get ready while it is nice out! Now that we know the plow works, it is time to improve it. First up on the list is to add an easy way to angle the blade. Read more to see how we did it!
This is another part of the project that I thought about a LONG time before I did anything. I wanted a way to angle the plow but did not want to make it too complicated or heavy.
Most plow designs have a pin that you pull, angle the blade by hand, then reinsert the pin an a new hole. This design wouldn’t work for my plow though because I wanted to retain the ability to remove the plow from the receiver tube and flip it around to push or pull snow.
So, after rummaging around in my junk pile I pulled out an old trailer jack with a broken handle. Upon removing the handle and upper sleeve portion this is what I had.
I then cut the tube until I could remove just the screw and nut. (of course you could go buy allthread and a big nut if you don’t happen to be a hoarder like me)
Next step was to throw the threaded rod on top of the plow to see if it would work.
A little more rummaging in the junk pile and I came up with a 1/2″ thick block with an appropriate size hole for the non-threaded neck of the rod to ride in. I also found that I could chuck my drill directly onto the rod to run it in and out.
The end of the threaded rod was pinched so the nut couldn’t come off, so I had to cut it off with my angle grinder.
Now I had to come up with a way to attach the nut and block to the plow yet keep the ability for me to turn the blade around for pushing or pulling. After A LOT of staring I finally came up with a plan. In favor of keeping things simple I just needed to weld a bolt to the bottom of the big nut and block then weld a nut to the frame.
Since the end of the trailer jack threaded rod had a hole in it but no splines to chuck the drill to, I had to come up with a way to attach my drill. Again in favor of simplicity and using stuff I already have laying around, I decided a socket would work perfect.
So now I have a semi-automatic way to change blade direction from side to side. All it takes is 30 seconds to get out of the car and use the drill (or a ratchet) to change the blade to any angle I want. I can still un-pin the blade, turn it around, reassemble the angle adjuster on the other side and push snow at any angle. Maybe some day in the future I will get a wild hair and put some kind of electric motor on it so I can change angle from inside the car.
This has been a really fun project so far. It has really tested my ingenuity and desire to use cheap, easily available products that anybody could obtain. As a side note, I realize that one could never plow snow commercially with this thing. It is mostly just a toy because I enjoy building things and think it will be handy around the house.
I’m sure I will think of something else to change on this plow, but for now I will sit back and wait for some SNOW!!!
Index of the snow plow build process:
DIY Receiver Hitch Snow Plow – Part 1 – lifting frame and winch
DIY Receiver Hitch Snow Plow – Part 2 – Completion of lifting frame
DIY Receiver Hitch Snow Plow – Part 3 – Building Plow pivot and cutting edge
DIY Receiver Hitch Snow Plow – Part 4 – Complete plow frame and assembly (First time plowing snow!)
DIY Receiver Hitch Snow Plow – Part 5 – Build blade angle adjuster