Death by 1,000 details. We have reached the point where I am doing a lot but it doesn’t look like much. Check out the progress for updates on framing, dirt work, and finishing up a couple of projects.
Finishing touches on one of my first CNC plasma cut signs
This thing has been sitting for over a month now waiting for me to finish it. Seems like adulting gets in the way of my hobbies too often. I actually had a situation a couple of weeks ago where the heater (blend door) on the Wife’s explorer and the heater on the house broke on the same weekend, luckily I was able to obtain parts and fix both of them myself. Life happens, and it is totally ok.
The cool thing about projects in the shop is that as long as you don’t sell them, no matter if it is a week or a year, they are right there waiting for you when you get back around to it. The same can’t be said for the people in your life, so be sure to spend your time wisely.
Note for future reference, don’t wipe these things down with rags after sanding them. They still have sharp edges that ‘grab’ the cloth fibers. I spent a good half hour picking towel fibers from the inside of the letters after painting because the paint was dark enough that you could really see them.
Cutting in electrical boxes for exterior lighting
In my prior post, I had cut some 1.5″ holes at the front of the shop for outside lights. Turns out those weren’t going to work with the lights we bought, so I took the plunge and properly cut and recessed some electrical boxes. These solutions aren’t usually too difficult, they just take a bit to figure out since I am figuring most of this out as I go.
These cutters were a lifesaver while cutting these electrical box holes. Make sure to get the ‘offset’ ones if you are going to be cutting inside of panels like this. The blades are at an angle instead of straight so the handles aren’t hitting the worksurface. I believe red is left cut, green is right cut, and yellow is straight cut. It does matter which one you use and leaves a lot cleaner cut when you use the right one.
Cutting a large hole for the bathroom exhaust fan
There was no way for me to put a ceiling exhaust fan in the bathroom without either cutting large holes in the rafters or routing the tube somewhere that would be in the way in the future. So I decided to just bite the bullet and run it through the side wall. Turned out pretty simple, hope it works well.
I tend to go through phases where I get tired of something and need to work on something else. We had some beautiful weather despite it being November and it was a great time for me to knock out some more dirt work.
I still need to finish up trenching for my drainage tubes but lost motivation on that one and it is cold now. I’ll get to it some day 🙂
Finishing framing on the last large wall section
Finally about done with most of the framing. From here on out, it will be all smaller details filling in framing spots and fixing oopsies that I haven’t realized I made yet 😉 .
Finishing up framing on the ceiling
At either end of the shop, the last truss is on the outside of the posts. That means I have nowhere to screw the tin for my ceiling. To make it extra complicated, the trusses at the front are scissor trusses to make room for the garage door tracks, so there are angles involved. Here is my attempt at getting this figured out.
Framing for the ceiling on the rear wall
Same situation at the rear of the shop. The last truss is on the outside of the posts, so I have nothing to screw to on the inside. First I had to put a board up to mimic having a truss member on the inside, then I realized that I also needed to mimic the 2×12 header that is on the sidewalls if I want everything to match all the way around.
The main walls will be 3 horizontal rows of sheetrock which makes up the 12′ tall part that I framed with 2×4’s. Since I wanted the walls ON the posts without stringers (to save 3″ of shop width) I now have a bump out where the header is on the sidewalls. My plan at the moment for the last foot up to the ceiling is to make everything from the bottom of the headers up out of steel. I will have a bunch of 1′ long pieces cut to go around the top then steel liner as normal on the ceiling. Hope that makes sense, it will be unique for sure.
That’s all for now. I got city approval on electrical rough in but will still need a ‘final rough’ inspection before I cover anything up with sheetrock or steel. I worked my butt off for a couple of weeks straight and kind of burnt myself out so I am on a bit of a hiatus at the moment. Stay tuned though, I am going to get this sucker knocked out eventually.
Now YOU, go outside and work on something.